Saturday, January 29, 2011

It's been a while...

Wow it’s been well over a week.  I bet everyone is anxious to hear how the Writers Digest Conference went!  Well it went better that I had ever imagined.  But I will get to that in a little bit.

First….
Sorry I have been gone for so long!  Some was because of how well New York went some was also because I came home to two sick kids, both with the flu!  Abigail (the soon to be 7 year old) was easy, laying in bed and watching TV.  She barely ate but I stressed the importance of liquids and I got some stuff into her.  She is better, but cranky I guess I can’t blame that on the sickness that is just her age!  Ha
When Claire (the 16 month old), is not feeling well, she wants to be next to me at all times.  If she is on the floor playing, she wants me to be on the floor.  If she is watching a movie on her bean bag chair, she wants me next to her.  I love it secretly because she is not a cuddly baby and I get to cuddle with her, at least for a few days. 

Second….
            Because of the above it made it very hard to get together all of the things I needed to send to the agents that requested some material!  Yep you read that right!  Four out of the five agents I spoke to during the pitch slam wanted more information.  I was shocked!  Especially, when one asked me to send her the entire manuscript. 
            Of course I wanted to reread my query letter, synopsis and of course the entire manuscript.  I tweaked the query and synopsis and then I shortened and polished the first chapter, since that is what the agents asked me to send them.  I also added a chapter towards the end, after learning some great tips from the conference.  I sent everything Thursday before lunch.  I had every intention to blog on Friday but……

Pitty Party for one!!
            I wasn’t expecting to receive a rejection letter from one of the agents three hours after sending!  I know being rejected is part of the business, and I prepared my self for it.  I was expecting it weeks or even months later.  Which makes me think a couple of things?
            1) It was a total mistake; she didn’t read it even to realize it was me! (even though I put it in the first sentence of the letter).  But of course total mistake, on her part. (this is the one that I say to cheer myself up)
            2) She read it and just like her rejection email stated it just wasn’t for her. (even though I totally know it is) haha j/k
            3) (and not to sound jaded) But maybe they were just being nice to me, to all the writers at the conference, and requested stuff even though they were not in fact interested.  I would like to think that this is not true.
   So being from the south my husband went out and got some comfort food to cheer me up!  Fried Chicken, French fries, mashed potatoes and gravy and biscuits.  He also surprised me with some cookies and cream ice cream.  It definitely helped!  Thanks hun!
    My skin will become super tough by the time I am published.  I already feel it after the first rejection; I know there will be many more so the thickness will come!

   I learned so much at the Writer’s Digest Conference and met so many great people.  I came back inspired and ready to write.  And not just middle grade but it all, many different genres.  A link to some of the notes from the conference is below if you want to check it out, they are very informative. 
-this is one of the fabulous authors I met.  Her blog is outstanding.  Has great notes from the conference, but it is also a great blog to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment