Friday, April 8, 2011

Kaya's Korner: "I Am Number Four" Review


Click to purchase
“I Am Number Four” by Pittacus Lore

I had no interest to read this book or watch this movie.  But I changed my mind and did both.  First, the book review:
John is not your average boy.  He looks like one and lives in your average American town in Ohio, but he most definitely is not average.  John is an alien from another planet who is developing magical powers.  These powers are coming just in time to save him from another race threatening to kill him and destroy Earth.  While John is learning about his “legacies,” he is also learning what it is to trust and love and these things make his life on Earth that much more precious and important to him. 
I thought the book was written well and didn’t have those forced cliffhangers which make you turn the page.  It was nice reading about John and how he was coming into his own and learning about himself.  I also thought high school life was portrayed pretty acurately. 
Random note: I do think that the seriousness of Pittacus Lore is fun, like he’s acutally real. (Example: his forward in the book)
Grade:  I enjoyed the book, but I didn’t race through it either like I thought I would.  That being said, I’m giving it an E-Reader.
Now on to “I Am Number Four” the movie… I hate to say it, but I liked the movie so much more; I’m actually sort of mad I saw it on the last night it was in theatres and now I can’t see it again until it’s out on DVD.  It was full of action and the feelings that John felt were showed beautifully and realistically; I wouldn’t use beautifully for all his emotions, just those pertaining to love.  I didn’t mind that the movie was rewritten in a way which skewed the actual events of the book, but I did mind that a major legacy of John’s was changed.  I hate that – don’t change the character.  The book was more tragic than the movie; the movie ended with a heroic feel at the end, whereas the book did not.  In general though, I did think the movie was a good condensed version of the book, I just wish they hadn’t made John look so stupid at the beginning of the fight regarding his legacies.   
Click to visit movie site
I will more than likely buy this movie and I’m dying for them to release the soundtrack and am a little frustrated that they haven’t yet.  WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!?!  I would rather not have to buy each individual song but will if I have too.  I will leave yall with this: I thought Dianna Agron was a good cast, I was suprised that Timothy Olyphant was in it in a good way, and hello Alex Pettyfer - I think I have a new crush - that is one seriously good looking boy!

What did yall think about the book, movie, or both?

6 comments:

  1. Haven't experienced either one. But after those props you can bet I'll at least watch the movie on DVD! ;-) Now, I'm off to look up Alex Pettyfer in google images. HEH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the movie and, like you, am eagerly anticipating it being released on DVD. Never knew it was based on a book until the end of the movie, and I have wanted to read it. It has been added to my "book queue" and I look forward to comparing the two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anita - google Alex Pettyfer and Ellen DeGeneres - it was a fun interview *wink, wink*

    Camile Victoria - there's also a sequel to the book coming out in August - "The Power of Six". Also, whenever you finish reading "I Am Number Four" let us know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also read somewhere on a book critic's blog that there are supposed to be 6 books in this series. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Kaya! This sounds like a fun red-box, beach rental. Also was "Lucia, Lucia" on your kindle or do you have an actual copy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could no longer wait for the soundtrack to be released and decided to buy my favorite tracks from the movie:

    - "Rolling in the Deep" by Adele
    - "Shelter" by The xx (I ended up buying their entire album xx)
    - "Soldier On" by The Temper Trap (and I got "Love Lost" too)
    -"Invented" by Jimmy Eat World
    - "Letters from the Sky" by Civil Twilight (and I ended up buying this entire album too)
    - I would have got "Tighten Up" by The Black Keys but I already own this album

    Hopefully they don't release the soundtrack tomorrow because that would stink and unfortunately they wouldn't be getting my money. Let me know what you think of these songs if you own them now or wind up buying them.

    ReplyDelete